Friday, February 10, 2012

Being Organized

Today, mostly what I did at work was organize a closet.  Sounds like a slow day?

AU CONTRAIRE.

This was not a small closet, nor did it lack things to fill it up.  It basically took me the entire day to clean this thing out.  It was full of all sorts of stuff that I didn't know anything about because it was only my second day, so it was tough to actually organize it in a way that made sense, but I was told that "there's no wrong way to organize the closet," so I just did it.  There was a lot of dust, accompanied by a lot of Tessa-sneezes.

This may sound like one of those draggy intern tasks, but it wasn't so bad (and for what it's worth- I completely understand why I had to do it.  I mean- if I had an intern, I'd make them clean my closet.  That would be so awesome).  In fact, it was incredibly satisfying.  Even though the closet was still packed to the brim with things when I was finished, it looked nicer and I knew where everything was.  I always surprise myself at how much I like being organized.  I'm not a super tidy person, but there's something about organizing things that used to be a complete mess that is like eating chocolate; it feels so good.

BUT I'M SUCH A MESSY PERSON! MESSY PEOPLE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO LIKE ORGANIZING THINGS-- THAT'S WHY THEY ASK THAT QUESTION ON THE COLLEGE ROOMMATE MATCHING SURVEYS!!

But here's the thing: it's only satisfying to organize if it used to be messy.  That awesome feeling of satisfaction only comes from a feeling of accomplishment.  You can't accomplish anything if there was nothing wrong in the first place.  So that's why my normal habit is to let my clothes build up on the ground until I can't walk through them without falling and breaking my face open on the floor.  Then I tidy up.  I'll fold, put away, and hang up all of my clothes, and sometimes I'll even make my bed.  AND even if my sheets aren't that clean or something, they still feel nice and fresh if I make my bed.  Then I lie in my bed and think, "that was so awesome."  And it'll be excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment